The annual 100-page report provides insight into the company’s efforts to conserve water and energy through creative data centre design; build a diverse, empowered workforce and supply chain; and operate in alignment with the highest standards of character and integrity.
Highlights of the CyrusOne 2021 Sustainability Report include, as written in the report:
• Assessing Climate Risk: CyrusOne takes a methodical approach to understanding and addressing the risks climate change poses to its business, utilising Carbon Pricing Analysis and Future Flood Risk Assessment methods.
• Sustainable Data Center Infrastructure: CyrusOne strives to increase the emphasis on water conservation in the data centre industry by showcasing how its data centres provide industry-competitive energy efficiency without sacrificing water while also benefiting local wildlife and biodiversity.
• Expansion of Net-Positive Water Commitment: In 2020, CyrusOne expanded this effort to its flagship data center in Carrollton, Texas, a region experiencing high water stress. This began with a 67% reduction in the facility’s onsite water consumption from the prior year and continued with the purchase of Water Restoration Credits to exceed the remaining consumption, providing benefits to regional wildlife and the local community.
• Facility Efficiency and Management: The Green Building Initiative (GBI) gave CyrusOne its coveted Three Green Globes Building Designation for its Aurora I and II data centers in suburban Chicago, lauding CyrusOne’s robust monitoring of mechanical and electrical systems.
• Responsibility to Our Employees: Recognizing that sustainability goes beyond environmental topics, CyrusOne discussed embracing equity and inclusion as part of its diversity strategy, supported by company programs like the Women’s Resource Group and the CAREEE (Community, Agility, Respect, Enjoyable Workplace, Ethics, and Exceptional Service) Group.
David Ferdman, interim President & Chief Executive Officer of CyrusOne, said: “I am proud of the progress CyrusOne has made over the past year as we continue to invest in and build the data centres of the future.
“This report demonstrates how CyrusOne improved global operations while simultaneously making important progress in our ongoing commitment to reach net-zero carbon. We fully recognise the importance of our sustainability mission, from expanding renewable electricity resources and scaling our industry-leading water conservation efforts to providing supportive workplaces for a talented, diverse team and promoting equity in our supply chain.
“While we have made great strides over the past year, we also recognise that there is much more to be done. I look forward to working with our team and partners to accelerate our conservation and diversity initiatives in the coming year.”
CyrusOne’s infrastructure footprint includes more than 50 data centres in North American, European, and South American markets, comprising 4.9 million square feet of colocation space and 933MW of available critical load capacity with 2.1GW of powered shell available for future development.